Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Dramatic

I'm hitting a bit of a knitting wall, and here's why: I'm currently trying to finish up my Forest Canopy Shawl by May 11th for Mother's Day. There's just onnnnnnne problem--it's taking FOREVER! Does anyone else run into this rut? I feel like everyone else whips out lace shawls like it's nobody's business. I find it very discouraging that with every other row, my project just grows larger and larger. Now, none of this would matter if my mom were into smallish neck scarves, but unfortunately, I managed to track down one of the shawls that is much more her style. The verdict? Very drapey & dramatic and of course.... large. I tried out my hand at this style with jovial results. heh.
Sorry mom, I borrowed your glasses too...

After my silly photoshoot (and after being asked about my peculiar lipstick) I took an actual account of how much larger that shawl is than forest canopy. Yeah. It's quite a bit larger...
Sigh....

I currently have 13.5 pattern lace repeats done and I'm guestimating around 17 or so to make this bad boy large enough. I definitely understand that blocking will do wonders, but making sure I don't run out of yarn will be my biggest concern. Wait scratch that, attempting to finish this shawl during finals week is my biggest concern. Anyway, updates to follow.

It should also be made known that my mom did make the larger shawl pictured. When asked, she speculated the creation date to be around 1976; exact date/time will remain a mystery to us all.

12 comments:

  1. You can always write your mum an IOU for the shawl....she'll still feel loved that your working on it! So cool that she still has a shawl she made in the 70's!
    ...and if it makes you feel any better I've been really stuck trying to finish a 2nd sock...a piddling wee sock!!(think I made my Little Black Dress faster than these socks)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had great aspirations of a huge Forest Canopy. I almost died of boredom. I quit after about 19 repeats, and I'll have to admit I had a lot of yarn left. Your mom doesn't need such a huge shawl in the summer! Besides, 1976 was a very long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started a shawl last June and have yet to finish it. You're not the only one that has trouble knitting lace. Not to say that you're not going to finish yours by your deadline. You can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how people whip out these shawls lickety-split either. Given you're mom is also a knitter, I'm sure she'll understand if she gets and IOU.

    Love the pics - your mom's got some great taste in eyewear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to say it... I just love your mom's shawl and I can't wait to see the new one.

    BTW, I like the lipstick!

    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can so relate to the slow issue. I'm always amazing at those individuals who just seem to whip lace out in minutes. Not me ... slow, slow, slow. The shawl is looking beautiful so far. Good luck with the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I kinda have a feeling your mom will LOVE anything you give her. Get what you can done, give it to her and finish it when you can, she will understand that you are a busy girl.

    ReplyDelete
  8. First of all...LOVE the photo shoot. And those glasses rock. You own them!

    I feel your pain about getting that shawl done. But I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hmmmm, maybe you could just make the fringe like 3 feet long and then the shawl will seem bigger?
    ok maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You can do it! Hang in there.

    Love the dramatic poses :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! Your mom-made shawl has held up great! Shawls take forever!! One of the reasons I don't do them...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've tagged you for a meme..if you're interested come on over to my blog to get the questions!

    ReplyDelete