Monday, January 28, 2008

All my bags are packed

That's right, I have just completed the grueling (maybe not that bad) and tedious 4 hour drive back to school. Admittedly, it was a tight fit getting all of my belongings (read: all of my yarn) to fit into the back of my compact sedan. I wasn't thrilled with the idea of having my yarn basket loose in the backseat, so quick fix there:

(Well if you'd buckle up a cute child, why wouldn't you buckle up a cute basket of yarn?)

No trip back home is complete without a visit to Iris Fine Yarns. It was my one last hurrah before starting the semester, so obviously that meant stocking up on goodies to keep me busy over the next few months (who cares if that's what homework is usually for!)
The major purchase was 10 (count them, TEN) skeins of Elizabeth Lavold Silky Tweed. I had kept reading about how amazing this stuff was and I honestly couldn't figure out what the big deal was. Yeah. That was until I felt it. Talk about smooth and amazing, this stuff is incredible! So, why 10 skeins you ask? Because it's being made into this . That is the sweater "Patti" by Sarah Hatton. Granted, it is slightly more trendy than most of the stuff I wear, but I think it's cute enough that it won't matter.

Moving on, we have 3 skeins (I know only two are photographed, one was prematurely wound) of Blue Sky dyed cotton. I'm thinking of making them into this which is the Ribbed Lace Bolero by Kelly Maher. Who doesn't love an extra lacy shrug for spring?

Lastly, we have one [adorable] skein of Malabrigo Lace in Tuareg --This will definitely be made into a lace shawl of some sort, but I have yet to decide which one.

To close, As I was unpacking, I noticed that my collection of knitting books has expanded to the point of being considered an actual library. Admittedly, I have discovered that I love buying new knitting books almost as much as I enjoy knitting the projects inside of them. Hilarious. Click on the photo to see a more detailed list of titles, Twinkle & Jo Sharp are apparently too big to stand upright with the rest of the group...troublemakers.

Oh, my mom is on Ravelry now, check her out!

10 comments:

  1. Glad you had a safe trip. Better today then tomorrow I fear!

    I like the pattern that you are thinking about using the silky tweed for.

    My travels are done and I'll be in the "berg" for awhile. Miss you at Knit Night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful yarn. I love all the different shades of blues.

    Anyway, just found your blog through another's.

    I love that sweater you are going to make with the tweed.

    Where can I get the pattern?

    mari

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Silkie Tweed looks lovely. I'm jealous of your winter break. That's the one thing I miss about school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You found a gorgeous color of the Elsebeth Lavold! My mom and I did a sort of mini-swap with that stuff where we each made each other the same sweater but in different colors. It's great stuff to work with. And loving the Blue Sky and mmmmalabrigo, as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With all that yarn you won't even miss your mom, right??? My college girl has been back at school for 3 weeks already. She's sending me her shawl to block. I get to see her in two weeks. We're hitting her favorite yarn shop!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just moved on over to your blog because of your comment on Mari's about loving blue. It's my favourite colour too and I've just been drooling over your stash.

    Have fun being back at college!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came to check your blog out after the comment you left me on Ravelry...love the things you've knit so far and can't wait to see that gorgeous cardi...may have to add that to my queue too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I'm going to have to head on over to Iris to feel that Silky Tweed. Thanks a lot, like I need any more temptation pulling me in that direction...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so cute!

    I love that you belted in the basket of yarn.

    :o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know you were in WI! My boyfriend is from there and we visit his family near Milwaukee a lot. The last time we were there and I got to go to the cutest yarn shop right near UWM. I can't remember the name of it, but you probably know what it is! I bought Debbie Bliss, Noro, and Malabrigo! I was in yarn heaven.

    ReplyDelete