Thursday, June 19, 2008

I get by

with a little help from my friends.

One fun thing about blogging is that you instantly become part of a world-wide community of fellow bloggers and readers. When a blog is about a topic as specific as knitting, it's common to find lots of fun, kind-hearted people who share the same passions you do. Often these friendships stay as casual as leaving an occasional comment on a blog and having that person eventually return the favor. Other blogging friendships, one way or another, lead to increased correspondence and an actual friendship (gasp!). That was the case with Michael.

Now, I have no idea how I was lucky enough to become friends with this person, but let me tell you--he is one heck of a guy. Now, not only is he a great person in general, but he's also an outstanding knitter & blogger. We have become good friends over the past few months and sometimes I forget that he's someone I've only known for such a short length. We've talked about lord knows what during that time, but through our discussions, a problem he was having surfaced: he loves knitting beautiful lace shawls, but he needs somebody to bestow them on after they're finished.

*ahem*

Fast forward to this afternoon. I came home from work to find an internationally shipped package waiting for me. Inside? A gorgeous hand knit shawl, a flawless pair of socks addressed to my mom, and yummy looking regional chocolates for us to munch on. What a guy. So without further ado, I introduce you to the pinnacle of inter-blogging generosity. No, scratch that- just generosity in general. Meet Laminaria

as well as the Hedgerow Socks
I still can't really handle the fact that I have these gorgeous items in my possession, but now that they're here, I couldn't love them more. I think it's true that a fellow knitter appreciates a gifted item more because we know how much time, care, and diligence went into each piece. I can't stress enough how thoughtful this is, and despite him not being crazy about gifts, I plan to pay him back royally somehow.
Thank you, friend!

18 comments:

  1. Stunning! That color is fabulous on you too! What a very thoughtful and generous gift!! Michael sounds like not only a very good friend but he is one talented knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Two more patterns to add to my rav. favorites. What a great surprise for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was literally just admiring this shawl (for the umpteenth time) on Ravelry....this version is gorgeous....what an incredibly thoughtful person....and lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You lucky, lucky girl! What a lovely thing to do. Now I just need to go and find myself a 'Michael'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recommend having creamsicles with those socks. I'm glad everything arrived and I do hope you (and your dear mama) like it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that's so cool! I need a Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what thoughtful and generous gifts. That shawl is gorgeous and looks beautiful on you - love your dress too! Great socks - and a free pattern - thanks for the link I must 'mark as a fav' on Ravelry.

    Michael is a beautiful knitter!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think there is anything better to find in the mail the hand-knit gifts. I can't decide whether yarn would be equally exciting or a close second...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! How kind of Michael. I am going to have to check out his work. Enjoy the shawl - it is simply gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl, this is a win-win situation!

    That shawl is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  11. How lucky you are to have a friend in Michael. We should all be so lucky. Also loved your photos of the new puppy. Reminded me of my long gone Bruno, who was 8 lbs of fluff when we brought him home and grew into 100+ pounds of love and energy. Enjoy and hang tight!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The shawl is beautiful! And you are so lovely in the pictures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow those are some terrific gifts. Great job Michael!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It came! I can't wait to see it in real life! I'm assuming we're all going to get to touch and "oh and ah" over it at knitting tomorrow night.

    ReplyDelete
  15. He just GAVE them to you? I don't know how some knitters can be so generous with their handknits. They and he are just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That shawl is GORGEOUS. What a color! What a thoughtful, wonderful present.

    ReplyDelete
  17. how nice and sweet! It's a lovely color for you! and orange!

    ReplyDelete