Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Foliage Beret-a-fied

Okay, I know what you're thinking: "Two posts in the same week?! Not possible. Somebody obviously hacked into her account and is posting for her--that's the only explanation". Now (admittedly), I deserve that reaction. Really, I do. In the past two months, my time has been spent on classes, studies, work and extra currics--any little time I did have was devoted to knitting. Unfortunately posting took the hit. Watching my blog slowly wither away was making me me sad, so I'm going to make a conscious effort to pop in on a more regularly.

On a more humorous note, the other reason I'm posting twice in the same week is that it occurred to me that if someone had never visited this blog until 4 days ago, their first impression would be of a comical (yet terrifying) staged photo of me. To be quite honest, I get a little creeped out when I look at it--but at least now I know what I'd look like if I actually did go over to the dark side...terrifying thought. Now, lets have a look at some knitting, shall we?

It occurred to me (and has been pointed out by countless others) that lately the only hats I'm interested in wearing are of the slouchy persuasion. Most of the hats I've knit of late fit that bill, but there is one that did not. Re-meet Foliage:
Now again, there was nothing wrong with the pattern or the fit of the hat as it was designed--it just wasn't "me" and therefore wasn't getting worn. In my opinion, no handknit hat deserves to live in a drawer unloved.

So last night, I had an epiphany: "My hat is made of wool...wool blocks well....I have an abundance of clean dinner plates...I'm going to fix my hat!". After the process was complete, it looked like this:

and once it was dry, it looked like this:


Which made me look like this:
Overall the transformation was a success and I now have a cuddly, functional hat that I will most definitely wear more often. Other than my hat re-shapage, I have five projects that are near completion that I will be sharing with you over the neck few weeks. In the mean time, how about a little sneak peak?


Don't you just hate cliffhangers? More photos to come soon!

15 comments:

  1. Great amount of slouch!.....I love cliffhangers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!! The sweater.. i can't see it all but i'm drooling!!!!!! where did you get that pattern???

    I'm seriously drooling

    I wanna make it before i cry

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow i'm impressed. It never would have occured to me to block it and make it a slouch. Well done it looks fabulous!!!
    Can't wait to see your coming knits!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the lighter side of Rachel much better... you have such a wonderful smile.

    Hat is perfect for you, and I also love how that sweater looks. I have yet to try to knit one, I think I;d goof it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hooray! also can't wait to see your Juliet....I've been debating on whether to do one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are beautiful!!
    Is that February lady or Juliet I spy?
    Either way, that color is smashing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Didn't you take anatomy? Looking at the last photo, I'm pretty sure those aren't cliffhangers!

    Love the beret. I'm trying to talk my girls into wearing one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your hat is beautiful! I recently knitted a Gretel that came out a bit small, so I reblocked it around a large plate and now it fits with the perfect amount of slouch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, leave it to you to turn anything into a slouchy hat. :) I don't know how you do it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I like the hat like that. Much more appealing to me than beanie-style.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the hat slouch-ified, and it looks awesome on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the makeover on Foliage! Inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are a genius! It is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are so clever - looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete