Monday, March 10, 2008

Not quite Miss Kinkos

I got home from work around 1am and, as per usual, I couldn't get to sleep. After dealing with my sporadic sleeping habits over the past year or so, I've learned that the worst thing I can possible do is to lay [awake] in bed wanting to go to sleep. Instead, I need to do something productive! Who cares if it's 3:45 am!It's all the more reason to tackle my unfinished projects since there won't be any of those pesky distractions (like other lifeforms) that are usually lurking during the day. What did I do you ask? I decided to be resourceful! I printed my own gift tags:
I had been meaning to make these ever since before I got my fantastic sew-in labels for the holidays. These tags are just a little something to personalize a gift one step further. They're also the ideal option for the baby garments I'll be shipping out tomorrow to ensure there won't be any rough edges that might irritate sensitive baby skin.So huzzah, call me Miss Kinkos because I feel pretty darn resourceful. But wait--it wasn't really that easy, was it...?

hah, NO WAY!

For your comic relief, I've captured my mistakes and have decided to share them openly. (Feel free to gawk at my awkward learning curve.)

FIRST Try: I put the paper in upside down, but more importantly, the rounded rectangle I had added to the back side of the card was horribly out of alignment. Goodbye rounded rectangle!
SECOND Try: I decided to try a darker (more sophisticated) yellow than the first time and instead got a decidedly un-classy highlighter/popcorn yellow. Oh, and my margins got reset to default after all of my careful measuring...round 3 shall we? (Note the detail shot of my horrible margins*).
THIRD Try: I opted for an aqua blue since my eyes were still burning from the first two tries. A little too dark, but what's this? success! This run is looking good... now just to print the back! Oh geezus......maybe ON the back next time?
FOURTH (and final) Try:
color?adjusted.
Margins? set.
Paper? right side up.
Planets? Aligned.
Product? 30 cards wasted, but 10 cards: SUCCESS!
Lessons learned? I do not yet hold the title Miss Kinkos...but I can dream.Also note: Those of you wanting to print business cards at home, make sure your printer isn't a model that likes to eat cards for breakfast. My model is apparently the new HP Card-Cruncher. And what an awful sound that was.

12 comments:

  1. The worst part about doing that at 3:45 AM is that you can't scream. Or you can, if you're looking for new roommates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haaaa haaaa haaa! I ALWAYS have the same issues with my printer when printing out business cards and labels!! Feel happy that you aren't the only one with those problems! I think if you added up all of the cards that got trashed because of the stupid printer, I think I wouldn't have to buy any for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well despite the trauma, the final product looks great! Some lucky giftees are going to be very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came out really nice. Good job, even if it took a lot of tries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look very classy! I was just laying awake the other night and thought, "I should just get up and do something," instead of wasting time not sleeping. But of course I didn't. Good for you for actually doing something about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those look so good! I would never have thought to make a little card like that, but it's such a good idea. Now I just need to start knitting for other people...

    ReplyDelete
  7. the final 10 cards are brilliant and SO stinkin' adorable. custom cards are now on my list of must-haves. thanks. i blame you completely.

    LOVED the mess-up shots. they make the rest of us feel normal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those look great! What a good idea! I think it always takes that many tries when coordinating that kind of printing. The key is to print a lot when you get the hang of it to make up for all the ones that get messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Soooo classy! I want to do some now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The end product is awesome, even if 30 innocent cards were lost in the making! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice cards! I also really love your Goodwill finds in the other post - awesome dress!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are so pretty! Love the template you used :)

    ReplyDelete