Wednesday, March 12, 2008

One Savvy Shopper

So as mentioned in a previous post, I will be leaving this Thursday to travel off to the Boston area. More specifically, the Cambridge area. More specifically than that, the Harvard area. No, I'm not transferring to Ivy League glory, but instead, becoming an honorary student for the 6 days that follow my arrival. I have been given explicit instructions to:

A. say I'm an Anthropology major (?)
B.
tell everyone I'm Jewish (which I am)
C.
let everyone know I'm originally from Wisconsin.

I've heard these things will make me friends, though I can't help but question why. Regardless, my best friend has drafted up an itinerary of events for me to complete while I'm there. One of the more substantial events will be a "90's" themed dance on Saturday night. My first thought? No PROBLEM! After all, I did spend my blossoming years growing up through 90's; in fact, it's the only decade I can claim as my own!

Trouble is, I was in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL through most of the 90's, and (believe it or not) none of my clothes still fit me. Heh. *Enter intense brainstorming period*

My [patient] friends helped me come up with a ton of costume ideas spanning from Clueless, to Full House-- Boy Meets World, to the Spice Girls. If I had had unlimited time to gather materials or create something, that would have been different. Heck, if it were up to me, I'd find a full sized animal costume, cut out a giant tag board heart and go as a Beanie Baby. Alas, the character I decided on had to be dreamt up in less than a week on a college budget. So, what's a girl to do? I went to our friendly neighborhood Goodwill of course! And I came home with...
A green [J.Crew!!] dress for $6.99...

A black belt half priced at $0.99...

A pair of white tights [unopened from Walmart] $3.50...

A pair of black patent mary janes [Clearance for $6.00!!]...

and lastly (the knitting part) the ever-popular Hallowig, in black. [priceless].

So. Can you guess what I'm going as? I won't declare this an official contest, but know that if you can successfully guess what I'll be, I'll be sincerely impressed with your 90's wisdom. Seriously impressed.

Also, check out what else this savvy shopper snagged while thrifting[!]:That's right. 7 glorious balls of super bulky mystery fiber (we think a wool/synthetic blend?). Pretty darn pleased with myself for finding that one. Chicklet's excited too. Once I establish yardage, I'll start brainstorming patterns...hoo boy!

8 comments:

  1. Love those Mary Janes. What a bargain!
    Sorry, haven't a clue who you're going as yet though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No idea, but score on the yarn. I just found some cool cabled wool sweaters and I am vacillating between keeping them (even though they fit me horribly) and recycling them for the wool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going as yourself in elementary school? Because you just described me...

    You could also throw on some flannel, make a red Hallowig and go as Angela (Claire Danes) from My So-Called Life. (One of my personal favorite 90s TV shows.)

    Have fun at Harvard! Congrats on the honorary student status!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm...that's a tough one even as a fellow child of the 90s (okay, tween of the 90s). I figure it must be a cartoon character of some sort. My guess is Buttercup from the Power Puff Girls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, let me start with: When I watched the VH1 90s countdown, I asked like 100 times in a row: "That song is from the 90's? It seems like it just came out!" So I'm in complete denial that the 90's, my beloved college decade, has passed. If it were an 80's party, I, sadly, would probably know right away.

    Have a great time at Harvard!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you're not Buttercup then I'm utterly confused.

    If I were coming to your party I would totally be Courtney Love circa '93. Red lipstick, slip dress, bruises, the whole nine yards!

    Are the 90's retro now? Am I really that old?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were the Power-Puff Girls from the 90s??? Holy crap I'm getting old...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, Goodwill can really be a gold mine...can't get over the $6.99 dress :)

    ReplyDelete